Saturday, July 26, 2014

07-27-2014 -- Seventeenth Sunday in Ordinary Time, Year A

July 27, 2014 - Seventeenth Sunday in Ordinary Time, Year A
Saint Martin de Tours Catholic Church



If God appeared to you in a dream, like he did to Solomon in the first reading, and said, “Ask for something. I will give it to you.” What would you ask for?

If you could have one wish, one hope, one dream fulfilled by God, what would it be?

You would have to make a choice for just one thing.

We all make choices all the time, everyday. Some are good, some not so good, and some are downright bad choices.

Sometimes we pray for things we shouldn’t be praying for. We ask for things we should not have, or for things that God will not give us.

God, would you fix this thing that I broke, or make this situation that I messed up right again?

God, can you give me better looks, make me more popular, find me a boyfriend or a girlfriend, make me not gay, help me loose weight?

God, would you help me win the lottery? I promise I’ll give some to the church.

We ask for these kinds of things rather than making a choice to be open to God.

We try to manipulate God into giving us what we want, into doing things our way. Instead, can we consciously make a choice to allow God to be in charge? Because he is, whether we recognize it or not.

When we cooperate with God, it’s like finding buried treasure or a pearl of great value.

It is difficult to make a choice to be open to God. But the reward is great. Cooperating with God brings us a treasure of grace and love. Cooperating with God brings us into God’s Kingdom.

In the parable, the merchant and the fisherman encounter the treasure they desire.

If we seek to encounter the treasure we desire, then we must allow ourselves to be led by the Holy Spirit. When we do this, we are on our way to becoming as wise as King Solomon.

We are on our way to finding a pearl of great price. We are on our way to finding buried treasure. We are on our way to having hearts attuned to the desire of God.

I know that, in my life, when I have been open to God and God’s desire for me, the Lord has given me riches beyond compare.

If we can trust that the Lord will eventually lead us to a great treasure, then following can be an adventure.

If the Lord appeared to you today and said, “Ask for something of me and I will give it to you,” what would you ask for?




1 comment:

  1. I was discussing this homily with a friend last night and we both agreed that if the Lord appeared to either of us, what we would ask for would probably not be the first thing on our minds. That having been said, I really liked the answer that my friend gave: "whatever you think I most need, Lord."

    ReplyDelete