Friday, March 25, 2016

3-25-2016 -- Good Friday 2016

March 25, 2016 - Good Friday 2016
Saint Martin de Tours Catholic Church



Pilate is the highest law in the land. He is the one who has the power to issue orders regardless of the facts.

It is interesting that in the Good Friday Passion Narrative, Pilate asks more questions than he makes statements or gives commands.

Pilate asks eleven questions and makes only six statements. Of the eleven questions, eight are addressed to Jesus. In fact Pilate only ever addresses Jesus by questioning him:

Are you the King of the Jews?
I am not a Jew, am I?
What have you done?
Then you are a king?
What is truth?
Where are you from?
Do you not speak to me?
Do you not know that I have the power to release you and I have the power to crucify you?

To the crowd Pilate asks:

What charge do you bring against this man?
Do you want me to release to you the King of the Jews?
Shall I crucify your king?

To the crowd Pilate declares:

Take him yourselves and judge him according to your law.
I find no guilt in him.
Look I am bringing him out to you so that you may know that I find no guilt in him.
Behold your king.
What I have written, I have written.

Pilate judges Jesus and finds him not guilty. Pilate tries several times to release Jesus. But the crowd is on the verge of rioting.

In the end Pilate gives in to the demands of the crowd. However, Pilate writes an inscription declaring the truth that he was seeking:

Jesus the Nazorean, the King of the Jews.

The truth that Pilate inscribes tells the story of our salvation. And so today we take a moment to venerate the wood of the cross on which hung the King of the Jews. We stoop to kiss the wood of the cross on which our Savior, Jesus the Nazorean, died for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment