Saturday, September 3, 2016

9-4-2016 -- 23rd Sunday in Ordinary Time, Year C

Sept. 4, 2016 - 23rd Sunday in Ordinary Time, Year C
Saint Martin de Tours Catholic Church



Lots of folks are currently calculating the cost.

Can I get a new car since my old one got flooded? Or do I only have enough resources and insurance to buy a used one?

Should I bulldoze the house and start again building a new one higher? Or is it more feasible for me to repair what I already have in the hope that this was a once in a lifetime event?

Even though I’m not in a flood zone, should I buy flood insurance now? Do I get structure and content or structure only?

Should I go ahead and apply for a DSNAP card? Will I qualify for an SBA loan? How much housing assistance will FEMA provide? How am I going to come up with the rest?

Those who lost everything have literally given up all their possessions. “Anyone who doesn’t renounce all possessions cannot be my disciple.”

They have given up everything, but have they given up everything to follow Jesus? Or have they given up on following Jesus?

When tragedy strikes, we usually make a decision without even realizing it. Either we turn to Jesus for help or we turn on Jesus to blame.

Have we given up on following Jesus? What a shame if we have, because we need Jesus now more than ever.

Make no mistake, Jesus calls for our lives. And Jesus wants everything. “Whoever does not carry his own cross and come after me cannot be my disciple.”

Jesus then goes on to describe the building a tower and the waging a war. Both activities require a great deal of money and planning and effort and people.

The focus of these stories is on the disciples, which means the focus is on us. If we follow, do we have what it takes to complete the mission?

The Book of Wisdom reminds us that the plans and deliberations we are making should be made with God’s counsel. The writer tells us that the wisdom of the Holy Spirit will be sent from on high.

We need that Holy Spirit wisdom to help us with the rebuilding that lies ahead. We also need the Holy Spirit to help us take up our crosses and follow with grace and dignity and strength.

We are certainly committed to rebuilding our lives after the flood. We are calculating those costs.

Jesus says his disciples must be all in. Are we also committed to following Jesus? Are we calculating those costs as well?

No comments:

Post a Comment