Saturday, August 26, 2017

08-27-17 -- 21st Sunday in Ordinary Time, Year A

Aug 27, 2017 - 21st Sunday in Ordinary Time, Year A 
Saint Martin de Tours Catholic Church




I see many of you every week. I know your faces, especially those of you who shake my hand each week after mass. After six years, I’m still seeing new faces and learning new names.


I might not even know or recognize the people who leave out of the side doors.


If our relationship has never progressed beyond a hello after church, then I can’t really say that I know you. Truth be told, you probably know me better.


But many of you know me only by my Sunday homilies. That would give you a very limited understanding of who I am. So you wouldn’t really know me.


Do you know what kind of music I like or what kind of books I read or which tv shows I watch? Do you know any of my hobbies? Do you know that I do all my own cooking because I love to cook?


So, for many of us, we really don’t know each other all that well. Is that the kind of relationship we have with Jesus. It’s okay. But it’s not great.


We might know a lot about Jesus. We know where he comes from. We know the circumstances surrounding his birth.


We know who his mom and dad are. We know about his public ministry. We know his teachings. We’ve heard about his miracles.


We know about his trial and execution. And we know that his disciples claim that he was raised from the dead.


We even know that through the centuries many have come to believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God. But do we really know Jesus?


More than anything else we need to encounter Jesus. We need to rediscover Jesus. We need to get to know Jesus. We need to hang out with Jesus and have a good heart to heart conversation.


Think about all the people in your life. You have your immediate family and your closest friends. You spend lots of time with them and you know them very well.


Then there are those you spend time with, not necessarily by choice, but as a result of work or school. You know those folks well but maybe not as well as your family and closest friends.


You also have acquaintances, people you know by name but you don’t really know them. And then there are strangers.


Where does Jesus fit? Let’s hope he’s not a stranger. Maybe we don’t know Jesus anywhere near as well as we should. Maybe our relationship isn’t really as dynamic as it should be.


Maybe this fall it’s time to spend some time getting to know Jesus.


Maybe it’s time to develop a deeper, more dynamic and personal relationship with Jesus.


Maybe it’s time to find a quiet space for Jesus to be able to speak to our hearts.


I don’t want to be just an acquaintance. So I’m pretty sure Jesus wants to be more than just an acquaintance as well.

Jesus extends the invitation, “Who do you say I am?” How do we reply?

No comments:

Post a Comment